The Churches in Ovada

oratorio-annunziataThe origins of the Oratory of the Annunciation are shrouded in mystery; the first news concerning the birth of the Brotherhood of the Holy Annunciation dates back to 1214.
The tradition of the Brotherhoods originates from that of "casacce dei disciplinanti" of Genoa (the influence of Genoa on the territory of Ovada have inspired many of today's customs; it is no coincidence that one of the first evidence regarding the Oratory mentions the same Oratory of Saint Mary Disciplinanti).
The Brotherhood built its own chapel on the street called "Contrada of Saint Anthony" that connected the ancient village Trecentesca the Church dedicated to Saint Anthony Abbot (now the Museum of Paleontology G. Maini).
Few traces remain of the original building as early as the fifteenth century, the Oratory was enlarged as evidenced by an inscription engraved in a frame within the Church.

Between 1752 B 1785 the Oratory was rebuilt changing its appearance up to bring it to the current one. In 1759 was built the new altar of the Carmine; in 1824 he was made the tribune of the Marquis Spinola which could enter the church directly from his palace adjacent to the chapel through a connecting passage. In the same year the roof was raised and reached the compartment oratory in order to create an input capable of sustaining at the same time the organ.
Despite the renovation works of the late eighteenth century, the altar preserves its physiognomy derivation "Ligurian".
The rectangular building has vaults and walls painted in 1800 by Ignazio Tosi (artist Ovada to whom we owe the decoration of Palazzo Tornielli in Molare).

Superbly crafted the Altarpiece of the Annunciation dating back to 1500 with difficulties attributed to Augustine Bombelli painter from Valenza accrued at the school of Genoa and definitely influenced by the work of Ludovico di Brea.
More of the sixteenth century (approx 1570) the two paintings by Luca Cambiaso donated by the Marquis Spinola in the nineteenth century and placed in the side walls shortly after admission.
The door of the tabernacle (painting on copper) was created by Luigi Fasce, Genoese artist lived in Ovada where he was head of a real art workshop. His also the two stucco statues depicting the Virgin and the Archangel Gabriel at the Annunciation (the award is also based on stylistic comparison with another work of the Fasce at the Parish of Mornese).
Also very important are the two speakers processional: The Annunciation by Anton Maria Maragliano (which some believe to have been completed by some students due to death of the Artist) and Our Lady of Carmel of the aforementioned Fasce Luigi.
To enrich the artistic heritage of the Oratory, whose brotherhood was certainly rivals that of St. John the Baptist was born in 1532 approx, adds a rich set used during processions: the two pastoral silver the monstrance and the rich hoods silk interwoven with threads of gold and silver originating of the eighteenth century.