The Churches in Ovada

loggiaThe Lodge of San Sebastian, now used as a venue for cultural events, was for many centuries the Parish dedicated to St. Mary.
It 's opinion of Ambrogio Pesce that the oldest parish church of San Gaudenzio _ (IV sec approx) but being extra muros, after the drastic decrease in population resulting from the plague of 1348, _ was soon merged with that of St. Mary intra muros.
The church as well as the main religious center of was also the place chosen for the most important events of the civil life of the town: inside were held councils and parliaments of and oaths of allegiance to Genoa.
The church documented since the thirteenth century probably dates back to the previous one.
Shaped Romanesque simple, single nave and gabled roof, underwent an expansion in the fourteenth century with the addition of two aisles and the construction of a bell tower.
In 1791, approaching the consecration of the new parish and being in poor condition, was sold and then dismembered.
The bell tower of municipal property was used as a prison; the central nave and the left became the Oratory of San Sebastian, seat of the confraternity which no longer exists (the whites); the Brotherhood of St. John (the so-called reds) acquired the right aisle in order to have a separate entrance to his oratory, which is accessed from within the church itself.
The building preserves inside some tracks _ in the wall of the left aisle and in both pillars of the bottom of that and more in the belfry. Invoice oldest are the fragments at the base of the bell tower, the walls of which were part of an existing chapel to various alterations.

The frescoes, along the left aisle, performed after the expansion of the church, are figures of saints placed mostly in niches trefoil with the bottom decorated.
From left to right we have Beatus Vicecius (Saint Vincent?), a fragment of a Holy and Madonna and Child (defaced for opening a side door), Saint Lucia, Christ's Passion, Saint James Minor and Mary Magdalene, St. George killing the dragon held by a pricess with a rope, Madonna with Child, a Saint Martino incomplete on the left side and bottom. Most likely belonging to the same series also fragmentary Beheading of John the Baptist. The stylistic analysis of these figures would lead us to consider them works of the fourteenth century, although their position along the wall built in the widening of the fourteenth century suggests a date to the first half of the fifteenth century.
Until the nineteenth century the church was full of gravestones and tombs that were removed in the early nineteenth century when it was suppressed the Brotherhood of St. Sebastian and the building turned into Loggia (hence its current name) blanket for the market by replacing the more ancient situated in Piazza Mazzini.
Along the walls, to the use, were practicing large arched openings (two side and one on the front).