The Churches in Ovada

sanvenanzio

The foundation of the Chapel of St. Venanzio at the Region Requaglia (Faiello Road), is due to the priest and studious of Ovada Marc'Antonio Grossi.
Testimony of ecclesiastical devotion and interest of the priest towards the "people of the Valley Requaglia", is a letter from the provost of Ovada written in 1736 to the Bishop of Acqui which expresses the will of Marc'Antonio to build the church at its own expenditure on land donated for use.
The provost concurred assent by the Bishop and she took care to visit the site and to identify the correct placement and arrangement according to the standards prescribed.
The deed drawn November 3, 1736 puts on paper the intentions of Grossi and anticipates 20 days the laying of the first stone.

A detailed list of expenses gives testimony about the materials, the vestments and furnishings purchased and used for the construction of the small church in the woods; more a poem dedicated to the Madonna Savonese hand of the same priest, remembers his initiative.

E dando luogo alla pietade ancora
Per esser l'alma d'ogni ver diletto,
senza la quale ogni piacere è inetto
Chiesa vi fei, che San Venanzio onora.

The church is still animated by the Sunday Mass and a country feast still deeply felt by the population .