Photo gallery  Events calendar

Tagliolo Monferrato-Stemma

Info Municipality:

Via Roma, 2 – 15070 TAGLIOLO MONFERRATO
tel. 0143 89171 fax 0143 896133

sito web: www.comunetagliolo.it
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

altitude above sea level m. 315

Look at the country on Google map

The name comes from Talliolus, in reference to the intensity deforestation and exploitation of timber, formerly exclusive building material. Built originally as a tower signs, in the second half of the tenth century, the country was assigned to Aleramici by the Emperor Ottone I, it was a possession of various feudal lords: Cattaneo della Volta, Spinola, Doria, Del Bosco. Entered the orbit of the Duchy of Milan, was given in fief to the Gentile family. In 1750, following the marriage of Teresa Gentile with Costantino Pinelli, the estate passed to the family Pinelli Gentile, yet the current owner of the castle.

The ancient village, which has kept a medieval look particularly interesting, is developed around the castle and consists of narrow streets, stone walls and arches, with the house of the Executioner and the Church of S. Maria Annunziata old parish, still visible is the building of the Court of Appeal seat of a tribunal during the eighteenth century.
The Pinelli Gentile Castle stands on top of a hill, one of the most scenic in the whole Alto Monferrato. The present building is the result of several renovations and restorations, especially in the seventeenth century when the military building became an elegant residence. Of the oldest parts (X century) remain the drains of the drawbridge and the square tower that was used to spot the Saracen invasions. The last restoration was carried out around the end of the nineteenth century by the architect Alfredo D'Andrade. The castle consists of a ground floor, which is accessed via a staircase that rises from the courtyard, the main floor and an upper floor.The main floor rooms have vaulted or coffer with exposed beams and are decorated in fresco medieval style. The interior is decorated with splendid rooms with valuable paintings, precious furniture, a rich library with historical archives, the weapons room and in the basement large cellars where since hundreds of years are produced the prestigious wines of the area. In the courtyard stands the "silkworm nursery" (BIGAT were silkworms), recently restored and used for weddings, fashion shows and any kind of event that wants to take advantage of the picturesque setting of the castle.

The St. Vitus Church is the oldest church built in Tagliolo first parish in the country. Built far from town, today serves as a cemetery chapel. It seems that the building was slightly later than the church of Santa Maria in Praelio of Silvano d'Orba, that the tradition dates back to the sixth century; at the end of 1400 it was restored and was then rebuilt in 1499 and renovated in the late 600.
The Church of Santa Maria was built in front of the oven and next to the castle in the place of a former church cited since 1514. Over time, the building was enlarged by five altars and various furnishings and vestments.
The current parish is the Church of St. Nicolò in the square facing the castle, with a bell tower in sandstone embossed. The first informations of the church date back to 1576. Since the beginning of 1600 the population felt the need for a new parish, he began several renovation and consolidation of the church that led, between 1799 and 1806, the movement of the parish seat from Santa Maria to San Nicolò that it definitely became the parish church of the country in 1947. the frescoes were executed by Clemente Salsa di Omegna.The oratory has façade with a large rectangular portal. The altars are those that were already in the parish of Santa Maria. Interestingly framework dedicated by the population tagliolese to San Carlo following a vote cast during the plague of 1630.

On the "old" road that connects Ovada to Tagliolo, there is the Chapel of NS of Grace; the church stands where once stood a small shrine that marked the border between the territory ovadese that belonged to the republic of Genoa and Tagliolo, imperial fief. The construction of the chapel was carried out between 1871 and 1875. Located in rather isolated location, was often the destination of incursions by vandals and thieves. Restored in recent years has, inside, plaster statues (probably those models that were supposed to be marble) performed by Antonio Brilla representing NS of Grace, St. Charles Borromeo, St. Paul of the Cross, St. Rocco St. Isidoro.
In the hamlet Mongiardino is a small chapel, dedicated to St. Joseph of which you have news since 1751. On the road connecting Tagliolo to Belforte is the Church of San Defendente, built between the late sixteenth century. and the beginning of the seventeenth century .; the Oratory of St. Rocco, located outside the town, in the direction of the cemetery, has an uncertain date but very old, some documents can be traced back to 1600.

The Ornithological Museum is located in Via Carlo Coppa 22 and is open by appointment. Was founded in 1984 by the sale to the City of the large collection of the passionate collector Celestino Ferrari, which in many years has collected about 900 specimens of stuffed wildlife. The specimens, which represent the majority of the Italian species, are expressed in showcases divided by room or order. The importance of the museum is mainly linked to the presence of characteristic animals of the local fauna particularly rare, in some cases endangered or even disappeared for some time. Particularly interesting are the bearded vulture, the osprey, the harrier, golden eagle, red kite white, the snowy owl and the eagle owl.

Recurring events:

May: Spring Festival on Mount Colma
June: Running Fitness "Trophy 7 Cascine"
June. Joust Flavours
August: The Stories of Wine
October: Chestnut and Flavors of Fall