Foto gallery  Events Calendar

silvanoPiazza Cesare Battisti, 25
15060 SILVANO D'ORBA (AL)
Phone: 0143 841491 - Fax 0143 841154

website: www.comune.silvanodorba.al.it
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

altitude above sea level m. 175

Look at the country on Google map

Silvano d'Orba is located halfway between Ovada and Novi, near the confluence of the creek Piota in the river Orba .
The town's origins are very old and linked to the Roman colonization of our lands; the first historical report about Silvano dates back to 1182, when the castle, possession of the family del Bosco, was conquered by the Genoese allies of the Alexandrians.

During the fifteenth century the country came under the rule of the Republic of Genoa; later it was owned by the Marquis of Monferrato and fief of the Adorno. The male line died out in 1632, the year of the death of Jerome, the last member of the family, the municipality passed through the daughter Magdalene, to the Marquis Botta, noble from Pavia, who added their name to that of Adorno, making it Botta Adorno.
In 1708, with the annexation of Monferrato, to the Duchy of Savoy, the country became part of the territories of this family.

The castle, built in 1492 by the family Adorno, is situated in an elevated position and is one of the most representative of the entire Monferrato. Built entirely of solid hewn stone, it is crowned by a simple projecting battlements on the walls and supported by a series of small arches. It has an irregular quadrilateral structure bounded by four massive corner towers.
It has not undergone significant changes over time but to enlarge the windows to allow better lighting, after the elimination of the need to defend the village. The interior is richly furnished, it has collections of art and relics of great historical and artistic interest.
Not far from the castle are the ruins of a tower, called "Torrazzi", remains of the castle belonging to the Marquis del Bosco, already mentioned in documents in 1182 and subsequently possession of the family Zucca; It was destroyed in 1446 by the Alexandrian that spared only the perimeter walls.

Near the castle is the church of St. Peter, built in the fifteenth century but rebuilt and enlarged in the seventeenth. It has inside works of considerable artistic interest. The plant is a Latin cross with a single nave. The interior, frescoed by Ivaldi the Mute, retains the valuable main altar and the balustrade of the presbytery, both in polychrome marble. During the fifteenth century it became parish.
The date of construction of the church of St. Sebastian, the current parish, is uncertain although sources attest that the building was born as a meeting place of the Brotherhood of the Disciplined . In 1784 the inhabitants of the lower Silvano was allowed to have its own parish, transforming the former oratory of St. Sebastian in a new church. Initially with two aisles, over time it was added a third. The interior is well preserved, contains valuable altarpieces.

The Church of St. Pancrazio is located on a hill, in a panoramic position, which is reached by a road from which you can see the ruins of the castle Zucca; you do not know the precise time of construction, perhaps around the twelfth century, when the saint's relics came from Rome brought probably by Benedictine monks of Sezzadio.
The building was originally a small oratory and was expanded in the early seventeenth century and new additions were made in 1795, as indicated by an inscription on the lintel of a door walled. The interior retains the altarpiece depicting the Martyrdom of St. Pancrazio and a reliquary which houses some fragments of bones of the saint, recognized as authentic in 1576.

The church of Santa Maria della Neve is located about two kilometers from Silvano and is one of the oldest churches belonged to the Diocese of Tortona; built probably around the sixth century, it was once known as Santa Maria in Praelio and was the ancient parish of Silvano and other neighboring villages. From the twelfth century and during the centuries that followed, however, with the construction of other churches, the church began to lose importance, and fall into a state of neglect; only in the seventeenth century it was decided to restore it to the will of the Marchesa Maddalena Adorno. Now bears the name of S. Maria della Neve but is still called by all la Pieve; houses some oil paintings that represent, for the most part, life scenes of the Virgin and are dated to the first half of the eighteenth century.

The Oratory of San Rocco al Mulino is located on the road that leads to the Pieve Silvano. It is assumed to have been built around 1450. Today it is a square and façade while the interior has a nave, preserves, albeit damaged by time, numerous frescoes depicting saints whose worship, especially in the Middle Ages, He was also deeply felt by the population silvanese.
The Church of Setteventi directly borders with the territories of Lerma and Castelletto in the hamlet Setteventi. It was built during the Second World War on an existing kiosk, completed in 1944 and dedicated to Our Lady of Grace.

Silvano is famous for two ancient distilleries that produce grappa with the so-called batch method of the still in a water bath at Piedmont. Since November 2004, with the establishment by the City, the De.CO (Denominazione Comunale di Origine) the town boasts the definition of Borgo Grappa.
In the country also it held a major exhibition on a national and international level, called "Ai good puppeteers of Italy" and dedicated to puppet shows, which recalls, in the third week of July, the best theater companies of puppets and marionettes, to which are flanked seminars to raise awareness of this ancient art.

Recurring events:
May: Feast of St. Pancrazio and rally cars and motorcycles
July: Podismo "Tour of Fractions"
July: National Award for Bravi Puppeteers of Italy
July: Feast dra Puleinta
July: Sportivamente together - Sagra dell'Asado
July: Beer Festival Soms
August: Feast of Our Lady of the Snows
August: August Silvanese
October / November: Distillery open