Foto gallery  Events Calendar

 cristoforoMUNICIPALITY OF SAN CRISTOFORO

Via Irmo Ferrari 16/C
15060 San Cristoforo (AL)
tel. 0143 682120 - xax. 0143 682260
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.comune.sancristoforo.al.it

altitude above sea level m. 301

Look at the country on Google map

The town's origins are ancient and date back to the Roman-Augustan period.
Located on an important road leading to the ancient city of Libarna, the village was built around a lookout tower (Torre del Gazzolo, still exists and incorporated in the castle) that was used to signal with fires the Saracen landings, in liaison with the towers of Parodi, Albarola and Monte Colma.

Key road linking the alpine zone and the coast, the village was subjected to continuous raids and alternate occupations. The strategic and commercial importance of the settlement of San Cristoforo brought, in the tenth century., to encircle it by walls, with castle gate, moats and ramparts which incorporated the high and solid irregular polygon tower, which still exists.

The area belongs to Obertenghi, Marquis of Parodi. Between the seventeenth and eighteenth century passed from Spinola to Montaldeo Doria and remained imperial fief until 1736, when, by virtue of the Treaty of Vienna, became part of the Kingdom of Sardinia. In the eighteenth century it was again besieged by the French and Austrian troops, and was inherited, in 1792, by the property of De Fornari.

The main activity is the cultivation of the vine and the production of DOC and DOCG wines.

Spinola Castle, built in the Middle Ages on a pre-existing Roman-era watchtower known as "Torre del Gazzolo", was to serve as a link for the messages sent from the sea through the Apennines to the Po Valley. Its peculiarity is the polygonal plan. According to legend, Napoleon slept in this castle during the Italian Campaign, forgetting his hat. Adjacent to the manor 2 buildings of the fifteenth century. On the west side the "long house", on the east side the guesthouse.

The Parish Church, dedicated to St. Christopher, was built in the sixteenth century. but the present connotation is nineteenth century: a single nave, preserves interesting paintings and fine crucifixes. On the territory there are country chapels, dedicated to the Marian cult and, near the cemetery, the Church of Annunziata, in late Baroque style, contains statues and paintings of a certain value.

Recurring events:
July: Festival of "Anloti foci a man".