Foto gallery  Events calendar

parodi

MUNICIPALITY OF PARODI LIGURE

Piazza Municipio, 5
15060 Parodi Ligure (AL)
tel. 0143 681105 - Fax 0143 681481
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.comune.parodiligure.al.it

altitude above sea level m. 330

Look at the country on Google map

Already quoted as Palode (from dell'Albedosa swamp) in a document of 937 and included in the Marca Obertenga, the village is located in that territory called Oltregiogo, lying on the ridge of a rocky outcrop, on the extreme offshoots of the Ligurian hills, in place of great interest as it crossed from "marenghe" routes connecting the hinterland to the sea and therefore strongly linked to Genoa who influenced art and traditions.
Genoa, during the eleventh century, begins to be present in the area by building houses assistance, frequently controlled by monastic structures (as shown by names such as the Hermits and Benedicta) that are owned by Genoese churches.

The Parodi events are reflection by these years of Genoese affairs, the streets of Marcarolo huts and the Bocchetta seen passing Milanese troops of Visconti (century. XIV), the French troops (between the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries), still Visconti (1421), even the French (1458).
With the advent of the Democratic Republic Ligurian (1797) Parodi is assigned to the canton of Gavi Jurisdiction, which is the capital Novi, and follows the fortunes of Genoa with the Napoleonic system, when it occurs the annexation to France (1805). In 1815 the Ligurian Republic is canceled and its territory annexed definitively to the Kingdom of Sardinia. The radical and definitive change is in 1859, when the Minister of Urban Raltazzi, Alexandrian, redesigning the organization of the Piedmontese state, delete the province of Novi, bringing the territories as part of the province of Alexandria.

Country traditionally suited to the cultivation of the vine belongs to both of Dolcetto di Ovada area to that of Cortese di Gavi.

The Parish Church of Parodi for the wooden statues by A. Maragliano, the altars and the choir, the Guarco building (century. XV) belonged to Nicolò Guarco Doge of Genoa in 1378, the parish church of Cadepiaggio for the paintings by Carlone, the parish of Tramontana for the oratory of St. John the Beheaded and the chapels of St. Vincent and St. Rocco. The abbey of St. Remigio (century. XI), at the center of the valley, the protagonist of many historical events, recently restored is currently used as a venue for conferences and exhibitions.

The Abbey of San Remigio founded in the eleventh century. by Benedictine monks of Santa Maria di Castiglione (Parma), to them we owe the wetland restoration that covered the plain of the valley floor, the building was enlarged in the seventeenth and nineteenth century. In the late Baroque style, it was enriched with valuable works of art, paintings, sculptures, marble furnishings, visible today in the Cadepiaggio church. Today the Abbey, desecrated and owned by the municipality, is used for institutional purposes, and arts and cultural related to the development of the area.

Recurring events:

August: Feast of Old Trades
August: Feast of Chickpeas (Hamlet Tramontana)