PALACE DELFINO

Headquarter of the Municipal Offices of Ovada, the building has undergone many architectural changes that have changed the original Genoese style. The south-west and north-east corners were occupied by a porch and it is clear that the building was not built to house public offices.
The banker Badaracco, commissioner of the company, had in his intentions the idea of ​​allocating the first and second floors to a family residence while the ground floor would host the offices of his bank that the Ovadesi knew as "Banca d 'Pre Titu ".
The work of completion of the Palace, as already mentioned in the Genoese yellow ocher bill with edging and white pilasters, took place around 1890.
After the economic collapse of Badaracco, the Palace was bought by the Delfino family who completed some works of interior figure entrusting the decoration to an artist sui generis: the painter Guglielmini frescoed the atrium, the first floor and the staircase.
In 1922 the family decided to sell the building to the municipal administration that moved from Palazzo Maineri only a couple of years later as the financial transaction did not go smoothly.
Before the settlement, the two loggias were eliminated and transformed into offices, irremediably altering the shape of the building.
The Enoteca Regionale of Ovada and Monferrato is located in the cellars of the building, beautifully restored. It takes care of the promotion and promotion of wines from the Ovada area, the enhancement and diffusion of local products, the promotion of the territory of the Monferrato Ovadese and commitment to growth technical, professional and cultural background of producers, members and the area.
The catering business organized by Wine & Kitchen (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.). Tel 0143 1921243. Dishes and gastronomic specialties of Ovadese, Piedmont and Liguria. Sale of Fine Territory wines at cellar price (around 170 labels). Open to the public: Tuesday 10-18, Wednesday 10-18, Thursday 10-23: 45, Friday 10-23: 45, Saturday 10-23: 45. Sunday and Monday Closed

 

PALACE MAINERI

The building of Genoese style was built around the middle of the seventeenth century for residential purposes.
The exterior, with its fake windows towards Piazza Cereseto and from Via Cairoli, seems to want to create a symmetry and rationality that does not actually exist in the interior.
The building was purchased by the Reverend Madri Pie Franzoniane, who occupied it for almost a century, in the nineteenth century.
In 1913 the palace, occupied since 1875 by the Municipal Offices, was bought by the Municipality who made it their headquarters; in 1925 it became the seat of the Secondary Schools of the City until 1962.
The ground floor of the Palace houses the Office of Information and Tourist Reception Ovada (IAT) and the branch offices of the INPS.In the mezzanine level has its headquarters ACADEMY URBENSE, important cultural association that referring to the homonymous Academy of the eighteenth century founded by Ignazio Benedetto Buffa, carves out a key role in research and cultural dissemination of the town.The main floor houses the CIVIC LIBRARY, inaugurated in 1972, dedicated to Spouses Ighina which is accessed via a large stone staircase.

  

PALACE ROSSI MAINERI

The sixteenth-century building houses the Municipal School of Music A. Rebora and belongs to the type of stately buildings arose in Ovada outside the walls of the ancient village. The location allowed the development of elegant residences with attached gardens.
The first news about the Palace is located in the will of Giorgio Maineri that left a large fortune to the second-born so that he ended the work of the residence.
The same family was responsible for the construction of the palace place at the corner of Via Cairoli and Piazzetta Cereseto (seat of the Municipality, secondary school and now the headquarters of the Public Library).
At the beginning of the eighteenth century the Mansion was purchased by the Rossi family, who moved to the city from Genoa enjoyed a significant welfare resulting from trade wax (remember that the candles were the only source of illumination at the time).
The Rossi family was responsible for the construction of the Chapel of San Francesco da Paola.
In 1835 the building is still owned by the Rossi family when the Community of Ovada asking rent the Palace to house the Reverend Fathers Scolopi forced to leave their convent became lazaretto for cholera patients.
From an inventory of the same year (in this copy at the Academy Urbense) results that the Palace was adorned with more than eighty paintings now almost totally missing.
After various vicissitudes inherited the palace became the property of the family Mariti in 1926 before being acquired by the City of Ovada in 1933.
After it became headquarters of the Municipal School of Music Antonio Rebora, the Palace has undergone many structural changes that have not yet affected the simple facade facing the street that clearly recalls the style of the Genoese palaces.

PALACE SPINOLA

The Palace was built next to the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie fifteenth (now San Domenico) around the second half of the seventeenth century; there are no documents proving the exact date of the building that can be seen simply by a document relating to the boundaries of G. Massarotti which shows that in 1648 in place of the palace there was a courtyard.
Spinola had already been in the fifteenth century, the Lords of Ovada and had built new palaces and villas in the hills. The Palace, cuboid, imposes itself as a closed volume and solid, leaving no room for the decoration that is simple and basic.
From this square block branches off a porch, built in the eighteenth century, and a series of rooms used once a stable, barn, store then modified after the sale of the property by Ugo Spinola.
The Scolopi Fathers conformed the loggias and the annexes to their needs by changing the original appearance of the palace which had however already undergone alterations; it can be stated that the Palace as it has come down to us tracings very well the model of a Genoese imprint Alessian of residence.

 

THEATER DON SALVI

The inauguration took place in 1902 thanks to the work of the Oratory of the priest Giuseppe Salvi born in Ovada July 10, 1871. In the footsteps of St. John Bosco fabricated the Ricreatorio with its heritage aiming to healthy education and instruction of youth ovadese, especially for the less well-off .
It also became the first projection room since 1908 and home of the Theatre Company "Filodrammatica Juventus."
In 1930 the fascist regime imposed the closure and only in1945 resumed his activities with the company "A.Bretti" until 1980. It was reopened to the public in the late '90s.
For details on this topic, see the excellent publication of the Academy Urbense Ovada found at this link: http://www.archiviostorico.net/libripdf/Don_Salvi.pdf (in italian).

 

TOWN PARK "SANDRO PERTINI"

Place in front of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, the Town Park entitled in 1997 to President Sandro Pertini, was established in the second half of the nineteenth century, by the Reverend Mothers Pie Franzoniane who joined the gardens and allotments of Palace Maineri (seat the Public Library) and Palace Scassi - Buffa (now the site of a banking institution).

 

 

PARK VILLA GABRIELI

The villa built in the early twentieth century project of Ing. Michele Oddini, stands hidden from prying eyes, not far from the town center.
Source of inspiration for the project were the achievements of art nouveau by Gino Coppedè (Mackenzie Castle, Villa Canali Gaslini, Genoa Villa Micheli) but were too bold for the context ovadese and were left out for a more sober style and not so original.
The villa, protected by a beautiful wrought iron gate rests placidly in a park, real pearl of the town, which clearly reflects the taste natural English. The garden of romantic taste imposes the imitation of nature wild example of absolute beauty as spontaneous.
At irregular paths and artificial ponds approach statues, temples and pavilions of classic exotic nature that invite you to get lost in the lush greenery away from prying eyes to search for new changing views.
Towards the middle of the last century, the garden was enriched, following the scientific spirit of botanical gardens, of exotic species from around the world (Cedrus Atlantica Galuca, Cedrus Libani, Sequoia Gigantea, Taxodium Didtichum, Magnolia Grandiflora etc.)
Photo gallery Villa Gabrieli