Photo gallery  Events calendar

Mornese-StemmaInfo Municipality:
Via Andrea Doria, 49 15075 MORNESE
tel. e fax 0143 887858 Fax 0143 875412

sito web: www.comune.mornese.al.it
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

altitude above sea level m. 380

Look at the country on Google map

mornesedavivere

 

The village lies along the path that leads from the Capanne of Marcarolo to Montaldeo, at the center of a hilly area crossed by two important tributaries of Orba, the Albedosa and the Piota, which has as its main tributary the Gorzente.
Alongside today's Mornese were developing the two roads connecting the ligurian ports with the hinterland of Po Valley: the way Postumia direct from Genoa to Libarna and Derthona until Piacenza. From here also passed through the streets of salt, very frequented, that moved from Genoa to the North, also known as "marenche" (leading to the sea).
The Castle, which stands on a hill and dominates the town, is not derived fortilizia but is of Cistercian monastic. Destroyed by the Genoese in 1404 it was rebuilt by the same a few years later. The village born around his mole is called "Borgoalto" and has picturesque views. Rebuilt in the seventeenth, is accessed via a ramp that, through a pointed arch, introduces the court overlooked some old buildings, including a tower. The central structure shows characteristics typical of the castles of Monferrato such as blocking single lightened by the walkway roof, the development in height, large windows and plastering. The aspect in which it is today dates back to the modifications of the eighteenth century, when it was adapted to residence.
The College was the first headquarters of the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians, a religious congregation founded by Don Bosco and Maria Domenica Mazzarello who, with her companions, moved here in May of 1872. Around the courtyard, into which is placed the old well now restored, we find the porch: the latest arches testify the place where once stood the first college chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows, rebuilt the side in 1951.
The Chapel of the College was inaugurated in April 1995; in the presbytery, the tabernacle and the cross constitute a single body while, at the center of apse, is the statue of Mary Help of Christians. The stained glass windows, custom-designed by the painter Nino Marabotto illustrate salient episodes of the life of St. Mary Mazzarello. The building houses the small room, occupied by the holy from 1872 to 1879.
The parish church of San Silvestro, on the hill facing the castle, was built in the late sixteenth century, placed next to the existing church of Santa Maria, now inadequate to the needs of the country. The new building was opened for worship in 1602 and was dedicated to St. Nicholas of Tolentino and then to San Silvestro. Underwent several changes over the centuries, including the building of the side aisles and the expansion of the apse. The current appearance is the result of the changes. The facade has the division with pilasters while in the pediment are placed in niches the statues of saints. The interior retains the valuable main altar of Carrara marble, the seventeenth-century painting depicting the Virgin of Suffrage and the pulpit made of fine wood in the late nineteenth century.
Next to the parish church, on the right and set back by a few meters, is the Oratory of the Annunziata. The building was briefly parish church with the title of Saint Mary until in 1602 was reduced to Venerable Oratory run by a lay confraternity. Expanded in 1828, still retains above the altar, the statue of the Immaculate seventeenth century and a processional crucifix of the eighteenth century.

The Chapel of Our Lady of Pompei, located at the crossroads between Mornese, Parodi Ligure and Montaldeo, is also known as the Church of Castagneiga, named after the locations where it is located. It looks like a graceful building, recently restored.
Renaissance rustic traces are evident in the façade of the Oratory of San Rocco, while in Fraction Benefizi (the ancient Villa di Ponticello) farthest from the country, is an ancient church dedicated to Maria Addolorata and rebuilt in 800 of involvement of family Pestarino- Quarlero.
Mornese is the birthplace of Santa Maria Domenica Mazzarello (1837-1887), founder in 1872 of the female Salesian Congregation of the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians , Salesian of Don Bosco.

The Shrine of the Order is dedicated to the Holy and located in the hamlet Mazzarelli, along the road to Bosio. The temple was consecrated on August 4, 1972, on the centenary of the Institute. The interior is simple and essential.
The church, dedicated to Mary Help of Christians and the Saints Stephen and Lawrence, was built as a thanksgiving for the protection had during the cholera epidemic of 1835.

The country celebrates the patron, St. Nicholas, September 10. Particularly interesting in the afternoon the procession with the participation of the Confraternities of other countries of the Ligurian tradition who bring their Christs.
The Pinewood offers various possibilities for walks and excursions on foot or on horseback.

In the valley of Gorzente and along the banks of the Piota are still visible expanses of pebbles, traces of slave labor in search of gold-bearing sands in Roman times. Gold mines were active until the end of the 800 and up to the early 900. Even today, at a competitive level, there are enthusiasts and amateurs who practice activities research.
The country's economy is predominantly agricultural, in the wine sector. The country is particularly valued for the pleasure and charm of the place, the nature and the traditions.

Recurring events:
February / March: Carnival of countries
July: Podismo
September: traditional Fair of St. Nicholas
October: Chestnut of San Nicolino