Photo gallery  Events calendar

Molare Italia-StemmaInfo Municipality:
Piazza Marconi – 15074 MOLARE
tel. 0143 888121 fax 0143 888117

sito web: www.comune.molare.al.it
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

altitude above sea level m. 226

Look at the country on Google map

The Country of Molar stands on the left bank of the Orba River and includes a fairly large (about 32.77 km square), two thirds of which covered by forests full of mushrooms and chestnuts.
The first settlements in molarese found inside of a region called Campale, located to the left of the Orba, where the river, abandoned its impetus of the Apennines begins the silent course toward the flat areas Ovada. In this area, before the wading over the Orba, converged mule tracks that connected stations Rossiglione, Badia and Sassello with those of Valley Bormida and here we have evidence of a town which gives its name to Cerriato. The name derives from the presence in a small temple dedicated to the goddess Ceres on which would be built later in the Christian era the ancient church.

Inside the cemetery is the oldest and most valuable monument of the country: the Parish of Campale. Appointed for the first time in the foundation of the Monastery of San Quintino of Spigno (as Ovada moreover) in 961, is among the assets granted to the said monastery. The fundis including that of Campalo, referred to a seal or a territorial unit with a small settlement ; it is possible that even then in Campale arose the church dedicated to BV Mariae Deiparae.
The current state of the building makes it difficult to certain dating and understanding of its original form: a single hall, presents an apse rectangular plan typical of Cistercian churches in Italy, as evidenced by the church of the Monastery of Tiglieto under whose jurisdiction the Parish and part of the territory of Molare were.

The facade topped by a roof with two salient features windows on the sides and above the door definitely attributable to alterations later: probably the forehead was framed by two angular buttresses of considerable magnitude. The building apparatus consists of river stones placed randomly and gradually more regular towards the top of the church. The lower part of the wall consists of coarser pebbles of varying size and shape could date, like the abbey of San Quintino of Spigno, a few decades before the Thousand Year
The south wall, not adorned with pilasters, is the most tampered of the entire structure: wide round arch, buffered, occupies the center of the wall and perhaps suggests the presence of a sacristy or baptistery.
To access the interior is down two steps, the coverage of the classroom has seven wooden trusses; the apse, slightly raised, is barrel-vaulted. Numerous remains of frescoes dating from the fifteenth and sixteenth century confirm that, despite the church was now relegated to one church cemetery after the construction of the San Bernardo near the castrum, was continuing the interest in him by the people Molarese.

The ancient medieval castle of Molare was built at existing public gardens (next to Piazza Marconi). The first document that refers to the construction dates back to 1224: the name of Castrum Molaris replaces Castrum Campalis. The region is went depopulating around 1200; the population settled around the castle of the Marquis that guaranteed greater security.During the fourteenth century. moving the center of gravity of the town led to the necessity of the construction of a new parish church. Built in an elevated position on a rocky outcrop overlooking the Orba, the parish dedicated to St. Bernard is the only building attributed at the Medieval time. Most probably originally the building was used as a fortified observation point and only later was converted to church. Currently used as the Oratory of the Parish contains a few paintings and a Case Processional of the Assumption, a crucifix and a wooden statue of St. Rocco.

Along the route that leads from Piazza Marconi to the oratory is Palazzo Tornielli, located where once stood the ancient Castle of Molare demolished in 1625: the tower and the door of the bridge were demolished in the early nineteenth century when Count Celestino Tornielli bought the area occupied by the Castle to build their own building. The building in neoclassical style was completed at the death of Celestino by his son John who added to the building the third floor and the two towers. The interior is decorated by Ignazio Tosi, a painter who painted in Ovada the interior of the oratory of Annunciation (nineteenth century).

Another building of interest is the parish church of NS della Pieve. The first information about the church dates back to 1681 when the parish priest Don Bernardino Cazzuli proposed the idea of building a new parish to replace the old one dedicated to San Bernardo. The first stone was laid in 1702 but the church was not completed until 101 years later due to lack of funds. The City chose for this purpose a land owned by the city said the "Bottazzo" at the church of San Rocco of which no trace remains. In 1742, despite the construction work was unfinished parish priest Don Antonio Maria Zerbino decided to bless the altar; in 1754 the church was enriched with a bell through the intervention of Mr. Luca Gaioli. In 1760 the church was enriched with a marble balustrade yellow and black arrived from Genoa. The façade, with three orders, influenced by the eighteenth-century, while the interior is distinctly baroque.The interior of the church is richly frescoed by Pietro Ivaldi of Ponzone said "the Mute" with the help of his brother, well-known artists known in the Diocese of Acqui. In addition to the rich pictorial system, which does not leave an inch unprotected, we highlight the two marble statues of the Virgin of the Rosary (second chapel on the left) and the statue placed above the baptistery representative Baptism of Jesus (after the passage of side entrance to the left) of the sculptor Bernardo Mantero of Genoa.

With the expression Castle Molare today we refer to the counts Gaioli Boidi past inheritance to the counts Chiabrera Castelli.
Do not have definite information about the date of construction although in all probability the castle dates back to when the village stretched out to the walls. Originally it was a sort of fort with adjoining tower situated on the main passage for Campale and the ford over the Orba. Under the Family Gaioli Boidi the dwelling assumed the features of a noble house. The battlements were added later with aesthetic function. The nineteenth-century restorations were certainly inspired by the passion of the medievalist D'Andrade then Superintendent of the great monuments.

The Shrine of Our Lady of the Rocks (Santuario di Madonna delle Rocche) is located at the foot of Mount Rat, separated from the nearby hills by streams Amione and Retano. According to tradition it originates from an apparition of the Virgin to a peasant of Molare (Clarice) around 1500. At first it was built a pylon replaced in 1585 by a chapel already in this period the cult of the apparition was very heard.
The church built on the wishes of the population, still remains in its almost original features (the facade and apse underwent rearrangements). Frescoed by Brothers Ivaldi received the consecration in 1873.
The sanctuary has three naves, it is inside rich in frescoes, marble and stucco. The altar has two caryatids with angel's head, above which there is a niche decorated with mosaics that encloses the wooden statue of the Madonna. Of particular interest are the numerous votive that lined the walls and pillars of the church and are now on display in a room dedicated to it. Executed by a painter molarese in the first half of the twentieth century undoubtedly represent the attachment of the population molarese to "his" Madonna.

Near the Shrine of Madonna delle Rocche, in Location Cerreto, we find the Fauna Park of the Appennino, situated in a lovely position just outside Upper Orba Valley in a landscape and natural environment, which is a real point of force of the proposed activities. The green area covering a fenced area of ​​approx. 36400 connected to the network of paths of the Regional Forest of Cerreto. Adjacent to the park is located the structure with classrooms and facilities specially equipped for the enjoyment. At the center is on the educational section of environmental education for schools and for summer camps and visits to the breeding of silkworms, educational arboretum, orientation activities, nature workshops and reservation manuals. The spaces also provide the ideal location for the realization of meetings, events, team building activities and environmentally friendly sporting events. The park also has a picnic area with benches, tables and barbecue and is connected to a dense network of paths that allows for lovely walks.
Opening time:
educational activities, festivals, events: by appointment.
picnic area: Weekdays - Opening picnic area and parking from Monday to Thursday from 8 to 17, Friday from 8 to 16. Free admission.
N.B. At indicated closes the gate to the parking lot where cars must be removed within that period.
Sundays and public holidays - by appointment and a fee with the possibility to use the toilet: € 3 visitor (under 4 years free)
In order to avoid disappointment, we inform our visitors that and 'necessary to first check availability' even during the weekdays (tel. 339.7288810).
For More information: www.parcofaunisticoappennino.com

The August 13, 2016 occur 81 years after the collapse of the dam Molare, an event that shocked the whole Valley Orba. For more info, should visit the website: www.molare.net

Recurring events:

June: Feast of Christ (Fraz. San Luca)
June: Feast of Fiazein (Battagliosi)
August: Festival of Polentone
August: Feast of Hospitality (Madonna of the Rocks)