Photo gallery  Events calendar 

Lerma Italia-StemmaInfo Municipality:
Via Luigi Spinola, 12 – 15070 LERMA
tel. 0143 877337 fax 0143 877636

sito web: www.comune.lerma.al.it
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

altitude above sea level m. 290

Look at the country on Google map

Beautiful village overlooking the valley of the river Piota surrounded by a lovely countryside and natural sites intact. The rock of Lerma dominates the valley of the Piota in a strategic position at the center of an important road of communication between Liguria and the Po valley. On this rock was fortified the first nucleus of the village that will be called Erma or Elma, the current Lerma, of medieval origin which, thanks to its dominant position made the town almost impregnable.
Through an arched door, once the site of a drawbridge, you can enter the square, which is overlooked by the castle, the ricetto and the church that has as apse one of the cylindrical towers medieval , transformed in '400. The original ricetto consists of a cluster of houses built around the castle, of great historical interest is an architectural rarity.
While the castles were built for the comfort and protection of the lords, the ricetti were used to protect the subjects. It is a fortified village used as temporary shelter by the population of the county in case of enemy invasions or raids. It was also used in peacetime as storage of agricultural products and, subsequently, as home final. On the square in front of the castle is a beautiful terrace overlooking the valley of the River Piota from which you enjoy a wonderful view over the hills of Monferrato and the surrounding mountains
The castle Spinola dates back to 1184 , the current is the product of a 1499 reconstruction of the complex above. Standing on top of a rock and is accessed through an arched doorway, while in ancient times there was a drawbridge which guaranteed safety even to the inhabitants of the Ricetto. The building, which has preserved within the walls  the old ricetto, has a plant in irregular pentagon, with the south side defended by the tower. It may be noted that under each window there is a slot used as bombardier and sides there are two gun racks. At the center of the castle is gained a quaint courtyard triangular of the fifteenth-century, with arches, columns and stone mullioned windows.
The Parish of St. John, overlooking the castle, has the apse made from one of the towers of the castle walls and the small medieval church, was enriched in a particular way during the seventeenth century: are visible inside a beautiful wooden Crucifix by Anton Maria Maragliano and a Madonna and Child by Barnaba da Modena painter active between 1361 and 1383. In 1975 there was accidentally discovered a fresco of the Genoese school of 1608, the baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist.
The Pieve of St. John the Baptist is a Romanesque church located inside the cemetery, a nave with a trussed roof. The side walls are interrupted by narrow windows, alternating with pilasters, which contain important and well-preserved frescoes of 1400 (Stories of the Passion of Christ). For a long time it was the parish church of Lerma and only in the '500 ceded its role to the oratory placed inside the walled village. Represents one of the few religious buildings of the archaic Ovadese preserved virtually intact.
The Creek Piota, bathing, offers in the summer glades and fresh clean water to those looking for a natural environment restful. In this stream, as in neighboring Gorzente and Orba, still many fans are dedicated to the search for gold.
The Shrine of Our Lady of the Rocchette is located in a beautiful dominant position on the left bank of the river Piota. The real name is Sanctuary N.S. of the Graces but vulgarly called Rocchette or Rocchetta for blacks overhangs of conglomerate rock on which rests. Built in the thirteenth century as a dependency of the monastery of Santa Maria of Banno, was used as a hospice, offering accommodation to travelers and mule trains traveling along the "Salt Road" which connected the Alto Monferrato with Liguria. Existing in 1291 was enlarged and restored in 1492 and again extended in 1619. It contains valuable works of art.
A few kilometers from the town, immersed in the vineyards there are the ruins of the tower of Albarola. It was part of the defense system of watchtowers wanted around 950 by Berengar II king of Italy that were to serve for the messages sent from the sea through the Apennines to the Po Valley against the Saracens in connection with the Tower of Gazzolo, Parodi and Mount Colma.
Located at the top of a hill in the vineyards in location Costalunga is the astronomical observatory "Alessandra Ferrari and Ilaria Merlo". Destination of visits by scholars and students, it works as a research center and as a teaching center for schools and for visitors. The building is made of reinforced concrete and structured on three levels for eight meters high. In the basement there is the photo lab while the first floor is reserved for the instrumentation support; the last consisting of a dome of four meters in diameter fiberglass on iron frame and isolated with glass, houses the telescope.

Recurring events:

June: Philharmonic Concerts
September: Mushroom Festival