Photo gallery  Events calendar

Castelletto dOrba-StemmaInfo Comune:

Piazza Marconi, 1 – 15060 CASTELLETTO D'ORBA
tel. 0143 830032 fax 0143 830623

sito web:
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

altitude above sea level m. 200


Look at the country on Google map

Its name comes from the diminutive Castrum, "fortified place", and is one of the oldest villages in the Alto Monferrato. Roman age (the first century. BC and the first century AD) belongs to the first settlement of Castelvero (Castrum-vetus) in the plain downstream of the village near the confluence of Albara and Albedosa.
With the barbarian invasions become safer settlements in the hills, and in the twelfth century. is a village at the end of the ridge trod from the current road Castelletto-Montaldeo, grouped around today's Tower Buzzi.
Castelletto was surrounded by a wall with three gates. A second wall encircled an area adjacent to the most fortified castle, the so-called Shelter;

Land border, was the object of conquest in past centuries. After Aleramo, lord of Monferrato, noble families (the Doria, the Trotti, the Spinola, the Adorno) contended the boundaries of his fief and enriched with churches, frescos, silverware and works of art.
The historic center of the country, characterized by narrow streets that climb up the hill, developed mainly around the castle surrounded by walls, and along the valleys of the rivers Arbaria and Albedosa. The village, which is also bordered by a fortification, had access ports located at the suburban roads.
In the ancient 'ricetto', or the place where the inhabitants found shelter and goods of the country, is located one of the oldest cores of Castelletto d'Orba, Borgo of Torniella. Access to this village was forced by three doors: the door of the "Berlina" still exists, of sec. XIV, the door of "Gagliarda" restored in 1889 by Alfredo d'Andrade, and the door of the "Ajres" was destroyed in 1600.
The Castle dominates, with its grandeur, the whole country; the preexisting building is before the year one thousand, by Aleramo while the present building dates from the middle of 1200. The massive quadrangular building is refined by elegant windows with columns and marble arches topped by a typical "bull's-eye" of the Gothic Piedmont and by one crown of Ghibelline battlements, large courtyard Renaissance triple loggia with outdoor staircase. Inside are preserved rich art collections.
The Church of St. Innocent, located near the town cemetery, is the oldest church in the country; was built between 314 and 342 on the ruins of a pagan temple and was erected as a parish under Pope Alexander III (1159-1181) with the title of Bishop St. Innocent. The façade has an archway with plant motifs surmounted by a lancet window with splaying (VIIVIII sec.). The interior has a Latin cross, with no apse, preserves the Romanesque structures and cycles of paintings decorated in fresco dating from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries; the oldest frescoes can be identified on both sides of the aisle with depictions of saints. The decoration of the right wall is completed by an image of St. Andrew, St. Innocent and St. Catherine of Alexandria and other valuable decorations are the great altarpiece in the center of the transept, with St. John the Baptist, St. John the Evangelist, St. Innocent , St. Bernard and St. Sebastian; above the central altarpiece we find the Annunciation with the figure of the Pantocrator a Crucifixion which presents the only particular landscape frescoes of the church: a wall characterized by Ghibelline battlements and ramparts that indicate the city of Jerusalem.

From ancient times there are two parishes in the country:

  • Parish of Saint Anthony Abbot, situated in the upper part of the country, dating back to the fourteenth century. The plant of the building is in the Baroque style, the interior has a nave and keep, in the crypt, the body of St. Innocent Martyr;
  • Parish of San Lorenzo, in the lower part of Castelletto, was, as the Parish of St. Anthony, filiation of the monastery of San Fruttuoso of Liguria. Of medieval origin, the building is the result of the transformation of a small Romanesque church, although totally rebuilt in the 700. The plant of the church is baroque three aisles; preserves the polls Martyrs Faustino and Theodora and the statue of Our Lady of the Rosary belonging to the school of Maragliano.

A third parish is situated in the hamlet Crebini-Cazzuli and dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi; the first stone was laid in 1924 and opened for worship September 13, 1925.
Within the municipal area there are many churches and chapels; among the most important are St. Anne in the locality Passaronda, at the farm Gallina. The interior preserves a painting of the Holy and a statue representing together with little Maria.

On the way to the sources meet the small church of San Rocco. Dates back, as indicated by the portal, at 1630, but a mural depicting the saint, anticipates dating to the fourteenth century; The bell tower was added in the late 800.

The church dedicated to Mary Help of Christians is situated in the hamlet Bozzolina; the interior houses the shrine which houses the statue of the Virgin, while all along the walls and in the apse are placed paintings depicting scenes of the passion, death and resurrection of Christ.

Also: St. Mary of the Graces in the locality. Passaronda, Oratory of St. Stephen, apse of St. Limbania not far from the church of St. Rocco, the little Madonna at the fork to Silvano, St. Agatha, St. Bernard, St. Defendente.
In the center of the village stands the Tower Buzzi, built in late Gothic style, at the beginning of 900, in the place where it is assumed arose the first castle of origin obertenga, shot down in the sixteenth century.

The country owes its fame mainly to the numerous sources of medicinal waters (minerals, some sulfur), discovered in the mid 700 and praised for their medicinal qualities, especially suitable for the treatment of chronic diseases of the stomach, kidney stones, rheumatism, skin and lungs; as the main sources we mention Lavagello, Cannone, Sovrana, Molino, Albedosa and Feja.
Castelletto d'Orba boasts the presence of a sports and recreation center surrounded by greenery, of big attraction: the water park Lavagello, including swimming pools, a disco and a TV broadcaster, a sports center in town Castelvero which hosts sporting events and events related to the promotion of the territory. Even the Golf Club of Villa Carolina falls partly within the municipality.

The municipality, favored by climate tempered by sea breezes, is a reality agricultural tied almost exclusively to the cultivation of grapes and the production of important and famous types of wine in the DOC area of Monferrato, as well as a favorite destination for tourists who like natural and historic beauties. The wine of the area is the Dolcetto of Ovada, which blends easily with the local dishes that are influenced by Liguria

Recurring events:

May: 4 steps in the Middle Ages (Borgo Torniella)
August: Walk under the stars at the Borgata Bozzolina
August: Concert Classical Orchestra of Alessandria
August: Feast Campagnola hamlet Crebini-Cazzuli
September: Festival of Grapes and Wine and Meeting vintage cars and motorcycles
September: Feast in the Village Torniella
October: Earth and Wine - Festival of dance and music popular
October: Autumn Walk at Borgata Bozzolina