Photo gallery  Events calendar

cassinelle
Info Municipality:
Via Colombara, 41 – 15070 CASSINELLE
tel 0143 848139

sito web: www.comune.cassinelle.al.it
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

altitude above sea level m. 370

Look at the country on Google map

The village is located in a hilly area cultivated with vineyards and surrounded by forests rich in mushrooms and chestnuts. The ruins of the castle and the walls, torn down in 1830, show that the site was fortified during the Middle Ages.
In 1187 there are traces of the existence of the country of Cassinelle among the assets surveyed the Monastery of Santa Maria di Tiglieto. At the beginning of the thirteenth century the territory of Cassinelle was under the control of the Marquis del Bosco, then move under the influence of the Malaspina. In 1417 the Genoese removed the Marquis of Malaspina from the control of Molare, Cassinelle and other territories in the area. Later the territory of Cassinelle was occupied in 1431 by Francesco Sforza and then move to the Duke of Mantua in 1535; since the beginning of the eighteenth century passed with the remaining territory of the Monferrato under the control of Vittorio Amedeo II of Savoy and was given in fief to the Gentiles of Genoa and Spinola of Lerma. In past centuries Cassinelle had much wider boundaries than the present, also including Olbicella passed to the town of Molare in 1922.

The Church of San Defendente, located on the road that leads from Molare to the hamlet Bandita in the past was the Shrine of Our Lady of Loreto. On the main altar is placed the niche with the image of the Black Madonna of Loreto and in the right aisle are preserved those who believe the relics of St. Defendente transferred to Rome in 1742.

The Oratory of St. John is the headquarters of the Brotherhood. It has a beautiful baroque facade and a simple interior, which houses a collection of five processional crucifixes.

The former parish church of Santa Margherita was originally completed in 1710 with three naves but today has only the central one. The building still retains some elements of a Medieval town and a bell tower made of stone and brick. Deconsecrated became venue for conferences and exhibitions.

Along the road that leads from Cassinelle to Bandita is the small church dedicated to the Virgin (Church of the Virgin Mary), erected in 1854 in gratitude for saving the town and the surrounding areas by a cholera epidemic. In the year 2000 we have been implemented some renovations inside and outside the building.

In the hamlet of to Bandita is the Church of the Holy Cross; Baroque front with three orders and soaring bell tower. The building was built starting in 1834; the bell tower was built between 1859 and 1870 and was restored in the early twenty-first century.

Green stones
Part of the area to which it belongs Cassinelle is characterized by a particular rock formation called "Green Stones", because of the dominant color.
Its formation dates back to the Jurassic-Cretaceous, when it formed the backbone of the chain Apennine on the seabed of a great ocean, surfaced after spore plate Continental. For this reason, in the area of the stream Amione, you can find fossils of plants, shells and animals that lived millions of years ago.

Events
June: Procession of St. John the Baptist;
1st Sunday of August: Fair ox fat.
September: Festival of porcini mushrooms
October: Chestnut and Feast of St. Defendente.
At Bandita: August 16 Feast of St. Rocco