Foto gallery  Events calendar

80px Capriata dOrba Stemma

MUNICIPALITY OF CAPRIATA D'ORBA

Piazza Garibaldi, 5
15060 CAPRIATA D'ORBA (AL)
Tel 0143 46102 - Fax 0143 467248
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.comune.capriatadorba.al.it

altitude above sea level m. 122-275

Look at the country on Google map

The town, which already existed in Roman times as evidenced by some findings of coins and tombs, is dominated by the ruins of the Castelvecchio. Of the ancient fortification are still visible the tower of the twelfth century, the walls and the entrance gates to the town.

The area, crossed by paths that going up the valleys they reached the mountain passes then going down to the sea, was inhabited even in prehistoric times.
The village was subject to the expansionist ambitions of the town of Alexandria, came to Genoa in 1218, besieged and destroyed by the Alexandrians in 1228, he returned to Genoa hand in 1230. In 1317 it became part of the Duchy of Milan, then it was again under the domain of Genoa (1412) who in 1418 sold it to the Marquis of Monferrato. It devastated by the French and then by the Spanish during the Monferrato war of succession(1648), was annexed to the Savoy dominions in 1708.

Parish Church is dedicated to St. Peter and Paul and Our Lady of the Rosary; of considerable interest, it is an ancient Doric building dating back to the thirteenth century. with three naves and a Tuscan design facade. Inside is a beautiful african marble altar black and polished dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary and, placed in the right transept, a masterpiece of Luca Cambiaso (1527-1585) Ligurian artist who characterized the five hundred Genoese and has become one of the major creators of the Ligurian style. The painting, oil on canvas cm. 262 x 202, perhaps entirely unknown to art historians, of exceptional artistic quality, recently restored, depicting the Madonna and Child with Saints Peter, John the Baptist, Francis of Assisi and St. Paul.

Towering above the village the baroque bell towers of the two brotherhoods that of San Michael and SS. Trinity, that of Annunziata near the Tower of Castelvecchio.

 

Recurring events:

end of June: Feast of "lasagna con stubiaroi"
Christmas Eve: living nativity scene