Foto gallery  Events calendar

Bosio Stemma

MUNICIPALITY OF BOSIO


Via Umberto I, 17
15060 BOSIO (AL)
tel 0143 684131 – fax 0143 684665
www.comune.bosio.al.it
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

altitude above sea level m. 358 

Look at the country on Google map

Located in the south central part of the province, on the border with the Ligurian of Genoa, on the northern foothills of the Ligurian Apennines, the country has a vast territory, covered largely by forests, chestnut forests, rich in hunting game and mushrooms, attraction for many tourists.

Location important historical because from there they passed the "Vie del Sale" that connected the Ligurian coast with the Piedmont region and the Po valley, was fortified by the Genoese in the late fifteenth century. The old center is characterized by some late medieval palaces and an urban plan in part original. The country was subject to the Marquis of Parodi until the thirteenth century. After the Genoese conquest of Oltregiogo has followed the fortunes of the ruling city for over six hundred years, with the Napoleonic empire aggregation in 1805 and the subsequent inclusion in the Savoy Piedmont decreed by the Congress of Vienna in 1815. Granted, as a fraction of Parodi , to the province of Novi in 1818, he became part of the province of Alessandria in 1859.

Bosio is one of the city decorated for the War of Liberation as it was awarded with the War Cross for Military Valour for the sacrifices of its people and for its activities in the partisan struggle during the Second World War.

The place more attractive is the Shrine of the Martyrs of Benedicta, in the heart of the Regional Park of Capanne di Marcarolo , monument nationwide dedicated in memory of the massacre of partisans in April 1944. The farmstead of Benedicta, a medieval monastery, was chosen in the spring of 1944 as the headquarters of the partisans allocated near Mont Tobbio. They referred to it several hundred young poorly armed and without military training. April 7, 1944, the German and fascist forces surrounded the area and passed to the action. In addition to those who died in combat, they were captured and shot 97 people. The Benedicta farmhouse was mined and blown up by the fascists.After years of neglect the ruins of the former Benedictine monastery, site of the massacre, were the subject of restoration and recovery works. In 2001 it arose the Association "Memory of Benedicta" which aims to build, near the ruins of Benedicta, a permanent information center dedicated to the massacre and, more generally, to the issues of war and peace.

Parish Church of Saints Peter and Martiano and Oratory of the SS. Annunziata.
The road of more recent urbanization through the capital flows in the large open space bordered on the east, from the oratory of SS. Annunziata and on the west by the parish church dedicated to the Prince of the Apostles and to Saint Marziano first bishop of Tortona. The Bosio church, until the thirteenth century, was included in the Diocese of Tortona and then transferred, with the Pieve of Gavi on which it depended, to the diocese of Genoa June 3rd 1248.

The institution, in origin a rural chapel, is traced back to just before 1201. Preserves nineteenth century frescoes of the Como Gambini and other minors, as well as a carved walnut crucifix , Ligurian school, of the second half of the seventeenth century.
Front of the church, on the opposite side of the square, it stands the chapel dedicated to SS. Annunziata, already mentioned in 1582 as <Casaccia Sancti Martiani>. In 1652 it is listed as <Oratorio dei Disciplinanti sotto il titolo della Beatissima Vergine>. Restored in 1875 with superelevation of the original elevation, the building has simple lines characteristics of the rustic architecture of the valley, with the linear gable and roof double raining.

The Municipality of Bosio is part of the Natural Park Capanne di Marcarolo and it is home to the head office. His membership in the Nature Reserve make it important tourist destination, especially naturalistic. Several are in fact walking trips that, through the path of ancient pathways, allowing you to rediscover the contact with nature, a rich variety of animal and plant.
Of note, the climb to the top of Mount Tobbio (1092 m asl) and the destination of many hikers and Gorzente lakes (Lake Bruno, Lungo and Badana) that provide the aqueduct of Genoa.

On the summit of Mount Tobbio stands the chapel dedicated to Our Lady of. Caravaggio, built in 1892, also a small refuge of the Italian Alpine Club. From the top of the mountain you can enjoy a wide view towards the surrounding Apennines and, to the north, the Po valley and the distant Alpine ring, from the Ligurian Alps to the Adamello Group, and southward in the clear days you can see the coast of Corsica.
On the slopes of Tobbio and surrounding areas remain varieties of mountain flora of rare beauty, such as the Alpine Star, present only in the Ligurian Apennines in this area; narcissus; the bell-shaped linen; chickweed; thrush. And there are specimens of Scots pine, residual witnesses of time in which this species inhabited the entire dorsal.

Municipality with a majority agricultural vocation in the past, Bosio still maintains the tradition of grape growing and wine production and trade. For its particular geographical location (the town of Piedmont nearest to the sea), boasts the production of wines with controlled and guaranteed denomination, Gavi or Cortese di Gavi and Ovada and Dolcetto d'Ovada and several other top wines with denomination of controlled origin.

Recurring events:

End of July: Festival of Lasagna
October: Chestnut